UKISHIMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A private fantasy RPG forum!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
tomopri

tomopri

Location : somewhere in history, but you'll never know until it's too late. don't blink

Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!  Empty
PostSubject: Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!    Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!  EmptySun Sep 24, 2023 10:21 pm

Heightened anxiety can lead to a symptom known as pulsatile tinnitus. You may hear ringing, or beating, or whooshing. Eiji knows this. Eiji has read all he can about things such as anxiety, partially due to their potion work. You have to know your clientbase if you're going to provide for them, even if it is phony. It's all about selling an image, an idea. They also know that they do not experience these types of anxiety. The cold fingers and the tight grip on the heart, the quickened breathing, the faster heart rate. The sensation on the verge of a heart attack.

And yet, he can hear his heartbeat so very loudly in his ears. It thuds and rushes and makes them almost feel dizzy. It forces them not to think as clearly. It leads to a fumbled sale, and then another, and then the early closure of his shop for the day.

They can't help an odd laugh, pressing a hand to their forehead and smoothing their hair to try and self soothe. They're never this far off their game. It must be...

Yes. It must be the fault of that angelic. They've done something to Eiji. That's why they feel dizzy and their heart doesn't quite sit right. That's why his tongue feels like heavy cotton wrapped in fleece, fuzzy and clumsy and dumb. Another giggle bubbles free, and their other hand finds their face. This is ridiculous. They've been cursed. Cursed as some odd punishment for teasing that peculiar angelic all the time. There's no better explanation.

He packs up shop sloppier than usual, still trailing the length of shimmering purple tulle that is usually used to alert customers to his presence. It doesn't matter. He needs them to speak for themself. To explain what they've done. To demand some kind of closure for these feelings and longings that he's certain he's never experienced before now. Somewhere in their mind, they picture arms draped in white pulling them close, a heartfelt explanation full of sugary nonsense that no one would dare speak light on the air, and they groan in frustration before packing faster.

They don't remember most of the walk. It's the usual route, so they don't need to think much about it, but they certainly arrive at the cemetery sooner than they'd expected. They abandon the shop cart without a second thought, stepping onto the grounds of the dead. They slink through graves, eyes barely focused until --

They come into view. Golden and white and frustratingly beautiful in some way against the morbid landscape of the graveyard, focusing in silence. Almost as if they have no idea what effect they've had, and that only bothers him more.

"Oh, Jojo~! Fancy seeing you here," he says, and it's dryer than usual. It's a tease that he barely cares to push. "Just the angel I've been looking for!"

Heightened anxiety can lead to a symptom known as pulsatile tinnitus. You may hear ringing, or beating, or whooshing. Eiji knows this. Eiji has read all he can about things such as anxiety, partially due to hoping that's all these feelings in his chest have been all along.

Supporting this, he can hear his heartbeat so very loudly in his ears.

"I have something...Unorthodox, but important to talk to you about, if you'll indulge me? Don't worry, it won't be any he said, she said nonsense."

Their hand twitches as it outstretches.

DRDIAGNOSIS likes this post

Back to top Go down
DRDIAGNOSIS

DRDIAGNOSIS

Location : your computer. im eating the most important bit of ram because i'm real hungry and that one tastes the best

PostSubject: Re: Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!    Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!  EmptyMon Sep 25, 2023 8:38 am

Jouji likes to work until the sun sets and the fog rolls in, going so far as to even out dirt when they run out of things to do. The day is always still young, regardless of whether the sun is beating down on them or if it's already set, and this is the case right at the very moment Eiji interrupts them. They don't turn to look, they just...know. The wind changes, temperature drops – there are many factors of nature that dictate it so. It isn't because they recognise how his shoes sound in the dirt or on cobblestone or just about anywhere else.

"...Hmm." Is a curious little sound that they do not mean to make out loud upon registering what's being said – or, rather, how it's being said. They tense, hoping that, maybe, they can just cocoon themself in a feathery prison and rot away like corpses do and not have to think about a blunder so minor that not even an ant would've picked up on it. It's already over. By continuing on, they're only digging themself a deeper grave. Eiji Date is always just one too many steps ahead of somebody who can't even begin to wrap their head around how they've managed to get this far and not be exhausted.

"Eiji Date..." They...greet him. Which is a tentative description, because his name is said in a sigh meant to dispel their thoughts. Gathering their nerves, Jouji finally turns, staring at their adversary dead-on. Despite the strange shift in their tone, their face is the same as it always is. "...you say that as if you ever come here looking for anything but me.." They make a throwaway comment in response to what they're given, biting back despite saying they know better and that they won't.

Then they wait.
This isn't particularly noteworthy, of course, because a lot of people wait, and they wait for quite a while, and everything's fine. The difference between waiting normally and waiting for Eiji is that Jouji is getting anxious and beginning to think that maybe something bad is about to happen which is really only tangentially related – is somebody about to roll a giant boulder down cliff that they don't know about yet? They're beginning to hope so, but, Ohhhh they hate the idea of dying in front of Eiji more than they hate Eiji, which maybe isn't saying a lot, because they're more than willing to sit here and wait, or pretend that they're not about to be sent into absolute hysterics over being even a fraction of an iota of a shred of a distance near him for Mizuki's sake—

"..Unorthodox? But important..?" They repeat, curiously, furrowing their brows as they look down at Eiji's hand. What is this? What're you offering right now? This is an intriguing set-up, I'll give you that, but... They bite their lip, gaze hardening, focusing.

Can't you ask Mizuki? Or anybody else, for that matter? Jouji likes to think that they're the last person in Ukishima that people would go to for any sort of help, and they'd be right in thinking that. It's sort of pathetic that an angelic is off catering to the dead instead of actually making use of what they've been given, doubley so when you consider the loneliness that comes with it. Jouji could've easily been, say, a doctor! Somebody, anybody important! But they're here, closer to corpses than anything, or anyone, else.

So, why, then, would Eiji, despite how immature and clearly very sad and bored they are, ask Jouji any sort of 'serious' question? Let alone 'unorthodox'? They're brainless, certainly, but not stupid – their talent is being completely wasted on a gravekeeper who looks twice as sad working an actual job than themself, a scammer who loiters around and gets paid to look pretty.. They almost ask Eiji to leave them alone after becoming frustrated, before remembering why they've made themself upset in the first place.

They adjust the sleeves of their jacket, clearing their throat and failing to brush past how they've been staring fairly intently and anxiously at Eiji's hand. "Mm.. Fine." They mumble, though the answer had been obvious from the second they opened their stupid mouth. They look to the side, deciding to avoid giving Eiji more than they've already been given. "I'll apologise in advance if I can't give you the answers you want from me." Though, really, it's your fault for asking 'Hakamori', famous for having at least seven separate rumors floating around about the same one event they happened to be in sneezing distance of, as well as being exceptionally lonely and completely out of touch.
Back to top Go down
https://www.quotev.com/djcyber
tomopri

tomopri

Location : somewhere in history, but you'll never know until it's too late. don't blink

PostSubject: Re: Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!    Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!  EmptyMon Sep 25, 2023 8:47 pm

The longer Jouji takes to answer, the louder the rushing in their ears becomes. It's a familiar sort of feeling, and one he's deciding he deeply does not like. Furthermore, he doesn't like that this racing sensation has spread down to their fingertips, up into their throat, and it thrums through every last cell of their body.

It's only when Jouji speaks again that something cuts through it. It's only when they're reminded there's a world surrounding them that the thrumming, at the very least, stops. It's only them.

"You're the only one who can give me the answers I want," Eiji says simply, and their tone is too flat. Everything about their approach has been wrong so far. Their mouth feels dry, and like it's been swapped out for another, and like it's upside down, and why is this so different from anything else?

Their hand falls slowly, and something in their expression shifts, something that only a person who has studied their face all too well would spot. A subtle twitch of the brow, a discrepancy in their smile, something dull in their already dull eyes.

"Hakamori Jouji," they begin, and it's already wrong, "What have you done to me?"

Words that mean nothing on their own, but carry a heavy weight on their soul. Words they've repeated to themself day after day, night after night, as pointless thoughts filter in and out of domesticity and something more. It's aggravating, and frustration drives their tone. Something intense and blistering and borderline virulent.

"And don't act coy, okay?" It's sweeter this time, treacly, said with one closed eye and a head tilted off to the right. "I mean whatever curse this is."

Now, 'whatever curse this is' does not properly explain it, but why explain when they're certain in every possible way that Jouji has done this on purpose? Why bother to put the cards on the table that they've already laid out?

He feels unsteady.

He doesn't know what answer he wants. He doesn't know what he wants out of this. None of it really matters, right? They've dealt with a curse. It's hard to adjust to a change of your way of life, but he adjusted then and he should be able to adjust now, no? So why? Why do they care so deeply to know the truth?

Perhaps there's a part of them that hopes it's no curse after all, but then they'll have to accept that the angelic has captivated them in some deeper way that's not meaningless after all, and that is something they're not ready for.

Back to top Go down
DRDIAGNOSIS

DRDIAGNOSIS

Location : your computer. im eating the most important bit of ram because i'm real hungry and that one tastes the best

PostSubject: Re: Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!    Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!  EmptyTue Sep 26, 2023 2:14 am

They tighten their jaw, gritting their teeth as Eiji unravels just enough to hint at something, something they can't put a finger on. Or they can, and just can't find a reasonable justification for it, can't fit it into their little worldview that they've become so attached to.

The only one.. The only one! Well, that's just silly. That's just nonsense. It's just – it's just...unorthodox. Wow, they've really described the circumstances aptly so that Jouji doesn't have to, how benevolent! Their frown deepens without them knowing it. And, well, so much for normalcy! So much for something like: 'Jouji, would you tell me how to bury a body?' or 'Jouji, would you mind throwing yourself off the edge of Ukishima?' Or something stupid like that. Maybe they just have a twisted sense of humor, but they'd have preferred to have been asked about something even a little funnier than...whatever this is.

They blink a few more times, letting Eiji continue — to...to joke, play, and toy around with them. They're baffled, but they can't say that they're surprised at the gall of them. Why would they be? They've been tricked before, and would be tricked again, over and over and over.

"Done t–.. You?" What about what YOU'RE doing to ME? Consistently?? Like a cat toying around with its prey, a bird picking apart a carcass left in the sun – do you have any idea–?! "Are you suggesting that I'd throw whatever I have left away to curse you?" Their tone is sarcastic, searching his expression for literally anything, before deciding to settle on 'sly'. They scoff (to hide a chuckle), squinting at Eiji as their mouth creases, trying not to smile at the hilarity of it. "I'm sorry, but, for as much grief as you give me, I don't think it would be particularly within my interest to curse you?" Or maybe you just think that little of me?

...they focus on a gravestone, though fail to move their hands to indicate that it's more interesting to them than being confronted with this...fascinating little insight into Eiji's dwindling psyche, they suppose. "I'm sorry that I'm not as interesting as the 'word on the street' would like you to believe, Eiji Date." That is the only reason they'd be accused of something they absolutely could not have done, even if they tried. "It's sad to hear you're suffering. Please, get well soon." Uncurse yourself. Jouji knows nothing about spells.
Back to top Go down
tomopri

tomopri

PostSubject: Re: Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!    Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!  EmptyTue Sep 26, 2023 4:06 am

Oh.

Oh!

This- This is the game they're playing!

Eiji's face does something strange then. Something it has never done, something it may never do again; it falls. Fully. They stare at Jouji incredulously, hands shaking, eyes unfocusing and then focusing too intently.

"You-"

And then, it's over. The incredulity takes a sharp turn into elation, though it's grounded in something artificial. It looks strained, and nearly like it hurts. And maybe it does. God, God, maybe it hurts! Because how else should something that stabs into your flesh and stretches it apart feel? That smile, it isn't right. Eiji isn't in his right mind.

"You're- kidding! This is a joke, right? Riiiight? Look at your- your little- You're trying not to laugh, aren't you? I know that expression in just about anyone."

Giddy, or perhaps just inharmonical, or perhaps just desperate laughter peals through the cemetery, an assault to the ears of those inhabiting it. It comes up in gasps, and Eiji suddenly can't look at Jouji. Not in the eye, anyways. He glances behind them, and then to the house in the distance, and then to hundreds of graves with names he doesn't know why he memorised, and then to the sky and something shimmers in amethyst.

"So you're trying to tell me you have nothing to do with- with the breathlessness I feel when you cross my mind?"

Eiji takes a step closer, running a hand through their hair and their grin trembles and God why is this the only way he knows how to share how he feels?

"You have nothing to do with- With the way my heart does somersaults when I so much as catch a glimpse of you?"

Another step, and their breathing is audible. It shudders and stops and starts back up with no rhythm.

"You truly have nothing to do with the fact that you make my stomach twist around and my mouth dry out and feel ill for days just because you did something you always do?"

There is no air of certainty. There is no hint of a lie. There is nothing but unsteady Eiji Date, staring down 'Hakamori' Jouji with a gaze that cannot focus on one part of anything as they step forward again. He grasps their wrists, but it is not as aggressively as he so desperately wishes it was, or thinks he wants it to be.

"If you absolutely have nothing to do with it, then why is it always you? Why does no one else on this God-forsaken island incite anything remotely similar? Do not lie to me."

Or maybe do lie. Maybe lie and say it is a curse and I'll move on with my life and so will you and no one will be any the wiser because neither of us wish to talk about our feelings, and maybe we'll address it as we die, though I'm not sure why I picture myself dying at your side so peacefully.

Eiji's heart feels as if it will burst.
Back to top Go down
DRDIAGNOSIS

DRDIAGNOSIS

PostSubject: Re: Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!    Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!  EmptyTue Sep 26, 2023 7:50 am

Jouji can't say that there's been a time they've ever been scolded. Or, well, they can, but– this is hardly the time.

The 'you' hits a little harder than they should let it, and a second passes where they wonder if they really had done something, cursed Eiji, caused some kind of irreparable harm that they're going to see justice for. Suppose it's better dealt by them than anybody else – even if they hate the idea of it, the idea of Eiji always having the last laugh. They're going to ruin their teeth at this rate, grimacing the way they are.

I don't kid,
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ I don't joke,
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ and I'm trying not to laugh because you're being insane– no, stupid, you're being a total idiot!

Can't – am I the only rational person left? In the whole of Ukishima? Is this how I die? Of course, of course, everybody makes up rumors about the normal one, because they're jealous, or something, they're – they – they don't –

They don't look. They don't have the heart for it, keeping their mouth shut, biting their tongue. Whatever Eiji's going through is their problem and their problem alone, Jouji wants no part in it. They'll just pretend they don't exist, they'll just stand here and hope that they'll stop, nobody will come save them, does Eiji know that? In a room full of people, Jouji would still –

Their head moves faster than they should've let it, looking at him.

"What're you on about?"
The world is quiet, and cold, like slipping into the ice cold river and having no hand to pull them out.
What're they looking for? Their feet stand still despite their want to get away, get away from here and never come back and never have to think about this again.
There's a conflict of interest and it makes their stomach churn, unjustifiably upset that they're afraid for no good reason, that it's Eiji saying these things, that anybody's saying any of this to them when they really just wanted to be left alone. Maybe they should be happy, maybe they should be delighted by this news, change their opinions in the blink of an eye simply because it was all down to infatuation, or something, but– but Eiji Date has been awfully cruel to them! This is just..

They bristle when their wrists are taken, and their breathing fails them.
Like the thin layer of ice they'd fallen into once, they feel something break.

"I–"
What the hell do you want from me? Just—
"I haven't done anything!" Which isn't true, which has never been true, but they sure as hell haven't done a thing to Eiji, they can at least say that much. "I don't know what you want me to tell you! Is 'I'd rather die' satisfying? 'No, Eiji Date, I did not curse you, because that's stupid and petty and god awful'? Is that what you're looking for?!"

They're raising their voice, desperate and confused and horrifically ugly and quite frankly overreacting to whatever this is but they've really tried so hard not to that it's getting hard to get a grip, you know?

"I— just don't think about me! It's—"
it's really not that simple. Everything is really loud, actually, and it's way too cold, and their wrists are being held and they're not moving and their chest hurts and they feel lightheaded and sick and they just want to go and lay in bed and cry for, say, thirty seconds? And then they'll just come out and they'll be able to say something! Or maybe they won't come out! Maybe they'll climb out the window and hide until they know Eiji won't come back! Who knows! They're not getting their thirty seconds to an hour of sitting in the dark!

"Would– would you just leave me alone?!"
Ah. Well.
⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀ It's only natural.

Jouji is an avoidant coward, if you haven't picked up on that already.
They'll apologise for it, but it won't change anything.

They don't pull away, even if they want to, even if they should, because resisting never did anything, did it? People were the same, they always pushed and pushed and pushed and kept pushing until somebody broke. You'll never break if you just let them have their way with you, say whatever the hell they want! So, are you happy with yourself, now that you've gone and done it? Do you want fanfare? Literally nobody in Ukishima cares! Not one person! So, there! Good for you!
(This much is only justification for themself.)

"Haven't you done enough!? Can't you just– just leave me alone, Eiji!?"
Back to top Go down
tomopri

tomopri

PostSubject: Re: Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!    Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!  EmptyTue Sep 26, 2023 8:19 am

It stings.

Everything.

The way their heart thuds so violently it shakes their ribcage. The way Jouji's gloves suddenly feel against their skin. The way they look at him. The way those words hit like wave after wave at high tide.

I've always found amethyst to be prettier when wetted, haven't you?

Eiji searches Jouji's face silently, smile cracking and falling apart, and he struggles. He struggles not to let something overflow, and he barely succeeds. They let go of Jouji's wrists, backing away with a stumble. Their palms find their eyes and press hard, and it's hard to tell what sound they're making. It sounds miserable and delighted and disgusting and strange. It's not a laugh, and it is no sob -- Eiji doesn't sob. They don't.

"Do you- think this is a game?"

Their voice wavers, and it's not right. That wasn't the way to 'win', Jouji.

"Another step in this cat and mouse...?"

And perhaps it was unfair to suggest their face would never fall again because, like a tree with an axe to its core, it comes down, something somber and horrible resting on a face that only ever makes room for a delicate smile and a teasing glint.

"Do you think me to be that cruel? That I'd use my own- That I'd use things I never confide in anyone just to get a rise out of you?"

An accusation turned on its head and spoken aloud.

Those words strike again.

Everything, all of it, comes tumbling down, crashing over Eiji. The weight of each one sets in properly, and he no longer succeeds -- something unnatural to them leaks from their eyes, and their face no longer knows what to do.

He doesn't know what he wanted out of this, but this was not it.

A reminder that he's not-

That he'll never-

They can't hold off a hiccuped- it's not a sob. Eiji doesn't sob.

"...I suppose that's fine then. I suppose we can incorporate this into whatever- Whatever mess plays out whenever we speak. Yes, I'll tick over another point to you, Hakamori. I'll..."

They finally turn their back on the angelic, and there's a crack in the illusion. Don't focus too hard. A migraine is the last thing needed in this state.

"I don't know what I'll do."

His voice shakes, and then shatters.

"I want to say I'm sorry, but I can't be."

And when they go to leave, their feet will not move. They feel too heavy, encased in a layer of

mud.
Back to top Go down
DRDIAGNOSIS

DRDIAGNOSIS

PostSubject: Re: Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!    Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!  EmptyTue Sep 26, 2023 10:35 pm

They hold their wrists tightly when Eiji releases them, distressing fabric when they do, eyes focused on them and only, alive with fright barely hidden by rage, like a threat, like a knife held at your back, like seeing somebody for the first time in months and they've only come back to you wrong, like-

Desperation, actually, just plain old desperation. Sitting and begging for answers that they're supposed to figure out on their own without the clues to get there, piece something together with flowery prose and garbled nonsense. They've learnt nothing, and they probably never will. Their grip is tight, glad that layers of fabric prevent them from digging any deeper than they already are. The weaker of their hands hangs tensely in the air.

Eiji sobs, or doesn't sob, makes a noise - whatever they want to believe it is, it's a sob by some definition, and it causes their unsteady breathing to worsen, stare at them differently, like-
Like,
⠀⠀⠀⠀ like,
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ like.

They draw comparisons, lines in the sand which shouldn't be crossed, two events which collide into each other. They don't entertain the idea of being haunted, but this is starting to get ridiculous. They don't address why, they just...hate, call it ironic, brush it off, knowing that it'll come back. Again and again.

Their mouth opens, but the words don't come out.
The circumstances are different, but the words don't come out.
Desperate for a pause or a break or to stop, they try in vain to say anything.

Their tight grip on themself unravels.
"I- don't- please, don't-"
Don't give me that.
I just want a moment to think, I don't-

The illusion breaks.
They avert their eyes, not out of a need to be polite, or a need to prove they don't care, but...
An angelic's wings blacken when they commit a sin, when they hurt another, when they don't follow some loose, undefined set of rules; rules that they wish they had broken - wish they knew they had broken, because they're always left to wonder if they've been misread, that they're just a sinner who gets away with lying.

Eiji is not an angelic, the circumstances are different, obviously, obviously, but the sting of a migraine also serves as a reminder. Saying similar, heartless things, things they don't really mean, things they can't stop saying, despite their best efforts to stop it. A cave that calls back ten times over.

When they look away, fail to stop themself from crying, maybe the word they're looking for is dread. It sinks its teeth into their neck like it depends on their misery, like fingernails in somebody else's skin, like the desperation that was intended, deserved, but not delivered.

"I- can't- what're you trying to do? I don't know what you- I-" Words fail them, they stammer, blunder, and falter, and they're not sure whether shouting or this is worse. They feel an urge but only act on it by digging their face into their hands, glasses pushed aside and falling to the ground. It's just another thing that goes wrong. They sigh into their hands, hurting their throat when what comes out is a sob.

Their face is going to get dirty. Their gloves are drenched. If this is the culmination of it all, the answer, the 'why', then -

"Just- why is it that you're only like this- now!?" They let go of their face, using the back of their hand to wipe their nose, carelessly, thoughtlessly. "Why don't you just hate me!? Why can't you just- just-!" no, no, no no no no no please God that's not what I mean- they choke on the words that've already been said, acted upon. "Don't- don't leave, I'm sorry, I- I don't-" care, have time for this — isn't it easier to just push things away? Wouldn't it be easier to just turn around and leave?

"I'm- I don't want to lie to you! I didn't curse you! I have no idea where you got that stupid idea from, but I've got nothing to do with it! I- I'm serious! I'd rather die! Even if I wanted to-! I don't know- there-" they feel air rushing the wrong way, stepping forward instead of being pushed back, moving for themself instead of being moved by another, "there has to be something else, I did something else- I- just tell me what it is! Just tell me! Please, just—.."

They shouldn't- hands on their shoulders, Jouji turns Eiji around.
They shouldn't- sob, break the way that they do, confused and afraid and caught on something.
Whatever they're trying to say is nothing more than a stutter that dies the second it realises how hopeless it is.
Back to top Go down
tomopri

tomopri

PostSubject: Re: Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!    Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!  EmptyTue Sep 26, 2023 11:32 pm

Thoughts swirl in an angry cacophony, sparking like young lightning still passing through clouds and waiting to strike at the worst moment. This was a mistake is the loudest, followed by something like I'm just afraid, or maybe I didn't mean to do something like this again.

He almost wants to cover his ears, but that is childish, and that is immature, and the angelic had to sit through every odd word from his mouth, so why hide when they do the same? When they contradict, and backtrack, and imply that they didn't mean it quite like that? Regardless, their hands twitch in front of them, halfway trying to hug himself and disappear, halfway trying to tug at their own hair and use the pain of taut scalp to distract them, ground them, do anything for them.

Their head shakes side to side slowly, muttering half responses, words that are barely important enough to be picked up on, impulse reactions to a war on the heart.

And then, there's hands on his shoulders, and his breathing nearly stops once it catches. Something in him tells him to pull away, that this stopped being worth it the moment they stepped foot here and Hakamori barely even wanted to turn around to begin with. But they do not, and they follow the motion, left,

speechless.

"I don't get you at all," Eiji whispers, and there's nothing in it. There is no playfulness, nor rancour, nor sadness. It's a quiet statement of fact.

"Isn't it- Clear? At all?"

Their shoulders almost burn, but they know it's just their imagination.

Words try to fall again, but they catch, stuck on how alien Jouji looks when they're like this. He searches their face for anything, anything, give me anything at all to show I didn't ruin this and that you really do understand, but they find nothing.

His heart stutters and falls.

"If you didn't curse me then- Then everything I've felt-" He shakes his head, shoulders starting to hunch and chest starting to flutter with rapid breaths in and out. "Then I fear I've done something terrible to you."

Their eyes fall, tracing shapes in the folds of the neckpiece Hakamori wears instead.

"I never- meant for it to happen."

Hands find the ones grasping his shoulders, arms cross in a self hug, and a body curls in on itself so the face is out of view.

"Maybe I thought it was a passing infatuation, or simply the way the light caught you, but it's- Worse. It's...It's worse because, if you sincerely had nothing to do with this, then- Then-"

They shrivel closer into themself, hiccupping again, and fine, it's a sob. It's quiet, and it hurts to keep it that way, and he's only really struggled with crying loudly because he doesn't know it's not supposed to hurt you. They don't know you're supposed to share your fears and pain with others, because someone might listen.

"Then I brought this upon myself, and in doing so, brought it upon you."

Their head leans dangerously forward, almost in a resting position against the chest of the guardian of the cemetery, only barely hovering away.

"I only have myself to blame for falling, is what I mean."

Tears drip onto Jouji's shoes.
Back to top Go down
DRDIAGNOSIS

DRDIAGNOSIS

PostSubject: Re: Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!    Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!  EmptyFri Sep 29, 2023 3:08 am

Okay. Okay, okay, okay, okay. Okay. Eiji doesn't immediately hate them for being reckless and hasty, this- that's a good thing, this is still under control and- and it's fine, they- they didn't think this far. They are a blurry mess of white and purple in front of them, and it doesn't feel real at all.

They're...relieved, at first, but...it's not really because they care, right? They don't care about Eiji Date, not in this moment - it's just that they feel guilty, that they're being given a second chance, looking in a mirror, and they're just using him to feel better about what happened, to scrounge up some sort of excuse for why it happened, why it's their fault, and nobody else's.

That's 'why' any of this is happening at all.
Maybe they'll even wake up and feel better about themself! Or maybe they'll never look at Eiji the same way again, if they can even get so far as a glance.

They try not to hold too tightly, because anything is better than nothing, even if it makes them the worst.

'I don't get you at all,'
...you don't?

This is, admittedly, surprising to hear. While, sure, nobody understands Jouji, they're not even sure Mizuki understands Jouji, but they'd figured that Eiji just had some sort of...mind-reading, all seeing eye that he only cared to use to bother them. It just made the most sense to them, really..

(They're too proud to admit that they let Eiji know that they hate gossip, by responding, maybe once, twice, three times over in a way that was genuine rather than a passing hum.)
They look a little lost without meaning to.

Clear? No. No, not really. I can't see anything, actually. They decide to keep their joking to themself. They've done so a few times before, feigning disinterest because, if they fed into Eiji's antics, they might fall into some hypocritical pattern of speaking ill of others, which is a road they're absolutely not even going to entertain going down.

It also just doesn't feel very nice to hear about people being put in the position you've been put in, even if they...really, honestly deserve it. Allegedly. According to rumor. Well, that's just awful, actually, nevermind. They can't apologise for something they haven't said out loud, even if they want to.

What? What? Huh? What? Terrible? You actually did something?
You're joking. You're joking. You're making fun of me, you're just- you..

They stare down at Eiji, which would probably look a little more frightening if they didn't have such a bewildered look on their face, sniffling and making some sad little noises while they try to find something to say, find a way to laugh that doesn't turn into a horrible cry.
...you're not joking.

A sound, a word, something comes out of their mouth but the second Eiji touches them, it dies in the air and doesn't come back. Their hold loosens, suddenly, afraid that they've been hurting him the entire time, and then remain deathly silent as he continues.

. . .
Infatuation?
So it wasn't a curse at all and Eiji is, in fact, insane.
Is this really the extreme they've gone to? Curses? Is- is it really that awful? Is it actually that bad to be in love with Jouji? They decide that it must be, because it only seems to have gone wrong so far. Jouji really took Eiji to have better taste in people, but they're also just.. Not very charming at all, it turns out.

'Brought it upon you..' Brought what? Hatred? Annoyance? Grief? Concern? Or are they implying something? Jouji isn't sure how to tell them that they don't feel that way at all, not even in the slightest, that this entire conversation has only been so desperate and clingy because they were drawing parallels that barely even made any sense, but they'll try to say it nicely, because they've already done enough-

Eiji leans in just a little too close. The humor they've found in this is gone with whatever's left of their ego. They don't yell, or cry, or make much of any noise at all - in fact, they stop breathing completely, wings puffing up.

Their face feels hot. This is bad. Horrible. Awful. How can they say they hate Eiji like this? This is another trick. This absolutely just another trick so that they don't say it, so that he can live in his little fantasy world where the two of them are -

They lift their head, looking around for onlookers, suddenly remembering that they're not, in fact, able to completely disappear like they would like to. Nobody can see this. Their life is over. Everybody probably already knows. They try in vain to hide any of what's happening by forcefully sticking their head back down and shutting their eyes, like a child hiding under the covers.

"Yoouu...you're going to be the death of me..." Jouji hopes that their heartbeat isn't loud enough to hear, speaking quietly and taking a shaky breath. "I don't- I don't mean that- I'm sorry. You're just an idiot." Hopelessly so. They don't apologise. "...have you ever had a single thought pass through your head? A- a rational one, Eiji, just- something like 'the sky is blue'? Or are you just- are you just like this? With everything?"
Back to top Go down
tomopri

tomopri

PostSubject: Re: Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!    Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!  EmptyFri Sep 29, 2023 4:07 am

There's a lot of things Eiji should know by now. Too many, really. These things, they rack up, they stack on top of each other, they teeter dangerously far too close to the clouds, and yet he never really learns them. They can be drilled into their mind a thousand times over, but they'll still contradict these life lessons through their actions and their words again and again until they die.

One of these things they should know by now, is how hot the edge of a cauldron can get after being kept on all day long, even if the contents don't always reach the top. The flame will slowly heat through the thick metal by the end of the day, and it's enough to leave a light burn on one's finger tips. He will never wait until it has cooled to pack it away.

Another is that the quiet, secluded part of the river is always coldest in the morning, and is not the best to bathe in before the sun has had a chance to warm it, but they will always submerge themself in its icy chill and hiss as it practically burns their skin.

The third is that he will always find a way to screw things up, even if he never did anything at all. They will always find a way to make themself impossible to care for, and they will chase away anyone who ever thought to call him a friend. They will chase away anyone they want to call a friend. They will chase away anyone they care for. And yet he still goes on to speak his mind, and to hurt people, and to create issues that they cannot get over, yet he'll expect them to take anything he says well.

They are selfish, and needy, and lonely, and that's why they're here.

They've weaseled their way into the life of someone who doesn't have the heart -- no, doesn't have the spine to send them away and mean it. Who doesn't bother to stop them when they come crawling back, hoping for more conversation, hoping to have another interesting day, hoping to form some kind of connection. And then, their heart grew too big for themself to handle, and they dropped it all on that same spineless person, who is backed into a wall despite the open air.

The fourth unchangeable, unstoppable rule, lesson, concept, fact is that --

And yet they keep coming back, and he keeps making their life a living hell, and he keeps pushing them with no end goal, and they keep letting him because even when they tell the truth, Eiji does not listen.

Selfish, needy, and lonely.

That feels like the rational sort of thought that Jouji would consider, no? They huff out a laugh, and it's completely acrid. Their head pulls away, and their arms fall in front of them to hang limply. He does not dare look up at Jouji, so he doesn't have to catch their expression. So they don't have to have the look that they're certain will be pure hatred burned into their memory any further than it is.

"I would suppose you're right," he whispers, shaking his head slowly. "I guess everything I've done and everything I've said has been really, truly irrational." Another laugh, but it's weak and pathetic and small. "I did it all wrong."

They reach a hand up to finally remove Jouji's from their shoulder, but it's not hateful or aggressive or cruel or anything more than gentle, slow, and sad. The other is soon to follow, and Eiji steps back.

"I'm sorry," and this time, they mean it. "It was stupid of me to think I could come in here and accuse you of anything and expect it to be wrapped up with a nice happy ending." They still won't look up, and they still can't leave, and they still can't get the ghost feeling of Jouji's grip on their shoulders to go away. "And neither will a proper bout of honesty, but maybe it'll- I don't-" A final laugh, that sounds more like a cry than anything, and Eiji holds his own arm tight.

A nervous habit, something used as- Well, not even he knows. It doesn't hurt.

"I don't know. I don't think anything I do through around you. You make me feel dizzy and I have never been quite so... captivated by another person. Not- Not solely in that sort of way, simply... You fascinate me because you never fail to be yourself, even with outside influence. No matter how much I push, you are so purely- yourself. It's- It's- I don't even know. I don't know anything when I'm around you. And I-"

A sniffle, and a shaking breath.

"I enjoyed the time spent around you. Not for the sake of torment, but for the sake of you."

They try to lift their head, but they feel too heavy to do so. Everything feels too heavy. They wish to collapse into the dirt and, perhaps, sink into it.

Perhaps this time, it'll be proper.

Perhaps this time, despite it all, Jouji will take care of the corpse left behind, and he's doing it again.

"...And I'm sorry if I made it seem like I found it to be a bad thing for me that I felt this way. I meant only that it was cruel to you for harbouring something I should know will not be returned."

Because the fourth unchangeable, unstoppable rule, lesson, concept, fact is that this angel despises them. With everything in their heart -- and while we're on the subject of repetition and finishing statements, it was cruel to have even briefly implied that they don't have the heart to send him away. They have all the heart in the world to do so, and have every right to desire this.

"I don't think I should come back here after this."
Back to top Go down
DRDIAGNOSIS

DRDIAGNOSIS

PostSubject: Re: Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!    Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!  EmptySat Sep 30, 2023 8:22 am

Jouji weakly laughs in response to Eiji's, though they're not sure why they're laughing.

...their hands are moved, but not without a half-a-second of protest - a passing moment of firmness, a wordless plea. The conversation isn't an argument, it isn't loud and discordant like it should be, it's just going wrong no matter what they do - not that they've done anything right, not yet.

They try to convince themself that things are still going perfectly fine, bringing their dirtied hands in front of them, loosely linked together while their fingers writhe anxiously in the space between. They tell themself that their answers are concrete, that they understand what is happening, that they know what to do and they know how to enact it, that they won't stutter or say what they don't mean, that they've bitten their tongue and can do so even harder, if they have to.

They avert their eyes. Eiji's arm isn't their business. They decide that they should focus on breathing, focus on keeping themself together because the two of them are either going to break into pieces or find a way to stay at this until they're both old and grey, which is the last thing Jouji wants to do.

While he airs his heart out to them, they turn and fetch their glasses from the ground, shaking them in their hand lightly. They're not sure what they'd do if their glasses broke, and decide not to think about it while holding them up in front of their face in the hopes that the dirt hasn't managed to scuff them.. Jouji wipes their face, sighs, and puts their glasses back on their face.

Their face is still red, a combination of being completely embarrassed and having been crying, but they manage to hold a poker-face. Neutral, despite it all, humming a contemplative sigh when Eiji is done. They're speaking with such...finality, making something known before they even say it. They steel themself for whatever happens next. Moment to moment, hearing and saying nothing at all.

They take a very long breath.
Let's not repeat it, selfishly, knowing that anything they say will mean nothing for a thousand and one reasons.

"If that's what you want, then- fine, leave. I'm not going to stop you." They're not sure how to make a sentence sound like there's more to it, not sure how to buy themself more time; so they breathe like they're going to begin again, then hold while they run through words in their mind.

"But- but you realise how-" they've learnt to bite their tongue, "- you realise you're going to see me anyway..? Out and about." They swallow. "If you really never want to see me again, you're going to have to wait until I'm dead...or leave Ukishima yourself, whatever suits your fancy." Because Jouji will always trail behind Mizuki and try not to cause a fuss, will stubbornly stay in the same place, will always come back whether they want to or not. "So... Whatever you say- go out and do what you do, forget me.. But- I want you to keep something in mind..."

They take another sharp breath, pressing their fingers into their palms.

"The second you think about me, you forfeit...and I'd like you to visit me. Charm me, yell at me, bother me, break my window for all I care - whatever you'd like!" They wave their hand for added effect, wiping stray tears with their thumb "Whatever you think 'doing it right' is, I want you to come back and pester me until you're 'right'."

Another pause. "To tell you the truth, I don't know if I like you or not, Eiji. I don't like most people, but I especially do not like you, because I think you're too good at playing games and dragging me into them. I'm sorry if that's harsh, and if you think less of me for it." 'Purely yourself'...well. Written on the tin. "If you want to change that, then do something about it. I want to see you try." I'll 'habour' it, fine. Seems hardly any different from what they do usually, anyway.

"And- if it helps you at all," their tone shifts, apologetic, but firm, "Eiji Date, I don't find you absolutely unbearable. And I'm sorry that you're a poor judge of character. And I'm sorry that I've been cruel to you. And I'm sorry this isn't what you wanted." They hold their head down, now, glasses slipping back off their head. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

"That's all. If I never speak to you again, thank you for...whatever this is. All of it. It-..." Hm. "For as much as I dislike you, it was nice listening to somebody talk...I suppose."
Back to top Go down
tomopri

tomopri

PostSubject: Re: Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!    Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!  EmptySat Sep 30, 2023 11:34 pm

A peculiar thing to know about Eiji Date is that when they are sad, they feel small. They feel they've been knocked to the ground and the rest of the world becomes much too big. People become terrifying giants. The surroundings close in around him like he's gotten lost in a labyrinth and there's no center to speak of.

And so, even though they are fully upright, and even though their legs are supporting them, and even though Jouji has moved away from them, he feels battered and bruised and so, so small.

Lost somewhere, sniffling and waiting to be heard.

But the scenery slowly starts to warm, and the chill that typically passes through the skin down to bone and wraps around the nerves so unshakeably begins to fade.

There's talk of forfeiting, and something else, and it's...

A hand, reaching down, helping up a lost young fairy. A hand, pulling him to his feet. A hand, not leaving him to think he's beyond saving or unworthy of trying again.

...An invitation, of sorts, to stay as a constant. A second try. It's not, I hate you Eiji Date, and I'm glad you finally see it. It's not, Then why stand around here? Get to leaving and don't come back.

It still stings, admittedly, because what sort of 'rejection' doesn't? But it's honest. It's to the point. It's Jouji, exactly as they are. And that alone is enough to bring a strange sort of smile to their face. It's not necessarily hopeful, but it's certainly not hopeless. It's a silent promise, it's a silent acceptance, it's something at all. It's meaningful, and not even they know its full meaning.

There's still uncertainty. It wrestles with their mind and their heart and their legs and leaves them incapable of a proper answer. It leaves them unable to know if they will come back, or if they really will find some way to avoid Jouji til the end of time. He knows he'll outlive them, as sad as that is, because it's just the way fairies work, but is he really willing to wait that long?

Are either of them willing to wait?

Who knows. Eiji could come back here 300 years from now, and there'd be an angelic donning all black, having taken to buying time until Eiji finally forfeits. They'd look at him with tired eyes and know they won, even after all this time, and maybe things would be very different by then. Maybe they'd catch up and laugh about the people they used to be. Maybe a hatred would be realised and they'd fight to the death.

A thousand maybes will never be enough for the possibilities of this unlikely pair.

But that's the future, and this is now, and Jouji appears to be offering some kind of challenge. I want to see you try.

They nod without meaning to, finally looking up at Jouji. Something glimmers there, but it's probably just more tears. It's probably nothing at all. It's probably this, that, and the other, and why worry at all?

A hand passes over their eyes, and comes away soaked, and he has half a mind to say 'ew' audibly, with the hopes it'll make them both laugh and leave this on some kind of higher note rather than an uncertain challenge. They sure are thinking of that word a lot. Maybe they know something we don't. Maybe everyone who knows them knows.

"I don't...know if I will come back," Eiji starts, tentative, hesitant, testing the waters, "but I can tell you this much." He takes a deeper breath, and his lungs don't feel too full to do so. It actually has some kind of effect. They feel lighter. They've felt lighter with every word spoken on this change, and it almost feels like they've been returned their ability to fly.

"I agree to your terms, Hakamori Jouji," and it's playful, but it's genuine, and it's stronger than they've been able to push out so far. "I cannot promise to see your face again, and I cannot promise you will see mine either, but I do promise you that upon our next meeting, if it should ever occur, I will be kinder to you. And we will be friends."

And perhaps this isn't a good idea, and perhaps he's still talking on a confession, and perhaps we're saying 'and' a bit too much,

"And who knows? Maybe next time, I'll win. The prize being your affections, of course."

And this time, he makes a 'next time' sound much more certain. Because maybe they know something we don't.

Maybe everyone who has ever known them, everyone who knows them now, and everyone who will know them at all knows the truth.

"Goodbye, Jouji."

They turn on their heels to leave, knowing the impermanence of their tone.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!    Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Oh Captain, Let's Make A Deal!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UKISHIMA :: Roleplay Area :: NON-Storyline Roleplay-
Jump to: